Technical Disciplinary SUINO65
- According to the Disciplinary of Prosciutto di Parma between unsaturated fatty acids, linoleic acid is the one that mostly affects the physical and chemical characteristics of the adipose tissue. Although not the only unsaturated fatty acid present in the adipose tissue of the pig, is the one that has a greater variability of concentration in dependence on the supply adopted.
- Linoleic acid, being an essential fatty acid, i.e. not synthesizable by the pig, is concentrated by the animal in the adipose tissue, instead of being used for energy purposes.
- Also according to the Disciplinary of Parma, the raw materials (fresh thighs) used for the production of Prosciutto di Parma, has elements of based characterization, as well as on the thickness of the grease, also on its consistency. The grease consistency is estimated through the determination of the number of iodine, and/or the content of linoleic acid, to be carried out on the grease inside and outside of the thigh’s adipose subcutaneous pannicolo. In the production disciplinary of Prosciutto di Parma, for every single sample the iodine number must not exceed 70, and the content of linoleic acid must not exceed 15% of the total fatty acids.
- Also, in the specification of Prosciutto di Parma, for the purposes of obtaining a fat cover of good quality is allowed a maximum presence of linoleic acid equal to 2 % of the dry substance of the diet.
- Presentation of the organization and/or the network involved:
- SUINO65 network assumes the involvement of at least a herd of pigs from growth-fattening, a slaughterhouse, a processing plant and a group of large organized distribution (GDO).
Object and purpose
- Object of the specification is as follows:
- The production of meat with the fat cover that has an iodine number not exceeding 65.
- Reference documents
- The production disciplinary of the protected origin designation “Prosciutto di Parma”.
- Application guidelines of EC Regulations No. 852/2004/ and 853/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the feed hygiene.
- (EC) No. 183/2005 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 12 January 2005 laying down requirements for feed hygiene.
Legislative Decree of 14 September 2009, n.142 – “rules on penalties for infringement of the provisions of Regulation (EC) n.183/2005 laying down requirements for feed hygiene”.
- The Legislative Decree of 10 May 2004 n. 149 and subsequent modifications, “Implementation of Directives 2001/102/EC, 2002/32/EC, 2003/57/EC and 2003/100/EC concerning undesirable substances and products in animal nutrition’.
- Guidelines on the official control of feedingstuffs for the application of Council Regulation EC 152/2009 (Note 0012381-P 02/07/2009 of the Ministry of Labor of Health and Social Policy).
- Guidelines on the sampling for the official control of feedingstuffs for the implementation of the NPAA note prot. N.DGSA 15001 of 10/08/2010.
- Regulation (EC) 242/2010 of 19 March 2010 establishing a catalog of raw materials for animal feed.
- SUINO65 is reserved for the products that meet the requirements established by the present technical disciplinary.
- Product description subject of certification
- Pigs reared in full respect of the disciplinary of production of “Prosciutto di Parma,” but with a food variant in the final fattening phase (see chapter 5)
- Production area:
- Italian territory
- Application field:
- Pigs in the last phase of fattening before slaughter.
- Feed for pigs
- The supply of pigs intended for the production of Prosciutto di Parma takes place in accordance with the specification of protected origin of Prosciutto di Parma.
- In the final phase of the fattening, i.e. at least during the last 60 days before slaughter, the pigs shall adopt a supply in which are admitted in the following foods:
- grain maize (up to a maximum of 50%);
- barley (from a minimum of 20 % up to a maximum of 40%);
- wheat (from a minimum of 10% to a maximum of 15%);
- sorghum (up to a maximum of 15%);
- FLOUR EXTRACTED FROM SOYA (up to a maximum of 15%);
- cruscame (up to a maximum of 15%);
- food supplements;
- Personnel for pigs feeding must have the appropriate ability, knowledge and professional skills on the provisions relating to the power supply in the final fattening phase, indicated in the present specification.
Labelling and use of certification mark
- The disciplinary SUINO 65 provides an appropriate certification of conformity of the product to what is stated in the present specification.
3.Plan of the conformity tests
Test for the analysis of the diet content in the final fattening phase.
Test for the analysis of the consistency of the grease in the flesh.4.PLAN OF AUDITS
Sites subject of audits
- Selected farms for the production of SUINO 65.
- Processing plant.
Number and frequency of inspections
Twice for a single production cycle in breeding.
Once a year for slaughtering and processing facilities in.
Items subject to audit verification
- Verification of parameters related to the diet indicated in the present specification.
- Consistency of the subcutaneous fat of fresh thighs that respects the following limits: an iodine value not exceeding 65.